My mum loves biscotti.
My Italian friends’ dad makes the best biscotti I have ever tasted. Subsequently, this was an obvious choice for a mother’s day baked good.
These biscotti have a stunning honey perfume and are completely moorish. They are slightly chewy which might sound un-biscotti-like but believe me they’ve got all the biscotti-ness you need, with an added dimension of awesome.
And for those of you that don’t bake but enjoy taste testing, make a trip to Euroespresso in Annandale and have one of Marcello’s beautiful biscotti with a perfect cup of coffee made from beans freshly roasted on site.
- 500g "00" Plain Flour
- 500g Honey
- 1/2 heaped tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 heaped tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Italian Baking powder (or regular baking powder if you don't get to an Italian deli)
- tiny pinch of salt
- 160g Almonds
- Mix Dry ingredients together thoroughly
- Make a well in the flour mixture and gradually mix in the honey till you have a well combined dough
- Divide dough into 3-4 sausages
- Place on a lined baking try and flatten slightly
- Bake at 160°C-170°C for 20 minutes until cooked through and nicely golden
- Slice when hot with a sharp knife
- Once cooled store cookies in an airtight container
- Italian Baking powder is available at select Italian Grocers. Look for a little packet that says "lievito pane degli angeli"
Let me know if you give these a go.