My brother is a savoury man.
He regularly turns down cakes and disappoints lolly bags by displaying them no signs of affection whatsoever. He is one of those people who’s easter eggs from last year are still lying around somewhere turning white. He’d legitimately rather munch on a cucumber than a triple choc fudge brownie.
As a baker I find my brothers disinterest in sugar fascinating (and mildly terrifying) and the moment he confessed to me his love for the humble ANZAC biscuit I was completely satisfied that he no longer had a serious mental deficiency.
And so I present to you the humble ANZAC biscuit.
- 1 Cup rolled oats
- 1 Cup desiccated coconut
- 3/4 Cup Flour
- 1 Cup Caster Sugar
- 115g Butter (I used unsalted but you could use either)
- 2 Tbsp Golden Syrup
- 1 tsp Baking Soda (BiCarb)
- 2 Tbsp Boiling Water
- Preheat over to 180°C & line three baking trays with baking paper
- Combine rolled oats, coconut, flour & sugar in a large bowl
- Melt butter and golden syrup in a saucepan on low heat.
- Put the baking soda in a cup and add the boiling water. Mix to dissolve & then add to the butter and syrup mixture.
- Tip syrup mixture into dry ingredients and mix through to incorporate.
- Place heaped teaspoons of mixture onto the prepared trays (make sure to leave 1.5inch around each as they spread in the oven)
- Bake one tray at a time for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Let them cool on the tray a little before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight tin.
Sandwich said ice cream between two cookies and you shall be reborn.
- Seeds of 2 Vanilla Pods (score down the middle with a sharp knife and scrape out seeds)
- 1 ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Caster Sugar
- 4 Cups Cream
- A pinch of salt
- Combine ingredients in a bowl.
- Cover and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Churn in Ice Cream machine for 60 minutes.
- Store in freezer or end up with vanilla cream soup (no less tasty, just not as desirable)
- If you don't have an ice cream machine, make friends with someone who does because this vanilla ice cream will make you and them happier.