There’s nothing better than a good excuse to bake (if you like baking of course). And what could be better than the good old Queen’s birthday (I think this is the one day most Australians can agree it’s fabulous to have a queen to call one’s own).
The birthday factor and the factor that it is beyond nippy outside provides the perfect excuse to whip up something warm and full of calories.
And since calories don’t count on birthdays (everybody knows!) & we will all be wearing giant, formless coats for the next few weeks by the looks of it, I think it’s safe to say you can throw yourself head first into this pie.
And what a pie! Essentially one giant, chewy Anzac cookie on top of gingery stewed apples with cinnamon and vanilla. Couple with Duffy’s Perfect Vanilla Ice Cream and invite the family round.
*Don’t forget to sing happy birthday to the queen.
- 1 ½ cups wholemeal flour
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 40g desiccated coconut
- 40g moist coconut flakes
- 185g butter, softened
- ¼ cup treacle
- ¼ cup golden syrup
- 1 ½ tsp bicarb
- 6 Granny Smith apples, coarsely chopped
- 30g Fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped out
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Stir flour, sugar, oats & coconuts in a bowl to combine.
- Make a well in the centre.
- Melt butter, treacle and golden syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add 2 tbsp cold water and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in bicarbonate of soda (mixture will froth and grow) cook for 1 minute.
- Stir treacle mixture into dry ingredients.
- Shape mixture into a large 25cm disc on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Refrigerate to chill and firm (at least 30 minutes).
- Combine ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat with 2 tbsp of water.
- Stir and cook until apples are tender (10-12 minutes).
- Spoon into a pie dish big enough to hold 1-1 ½ L.
- Cover with ANZAC cookie top, pushing sides of cookie down to enclose.
- Bake until topping is golden brown and crisp (15-20mintues).
- Dust with Icing Sugar.
- Serve with a scoop of Duffy’s Perfect Vanilla Ice Cream.